Thursday, April 8, 2010

Well Hello My Neglected Blog Readers

I'm sorry I've been gone for so long!  I've been swamped lately with a menagerie of things (tons of sessions, family in town, Easter, re-doing our backyard, job stress, and an 8-month old who's ALL BOY).  Yeah.  Lots. Of. Things.  Anyway, I promise I have MANY pretty pictures to look at coming right down the pipe, but I wanted to take a second (brief, I promise) to get on a little political soapbox.

Let me preface by saying, I NEVER do this.  Even outside of photo-blogging, I stay out of the political arena.  Its just not my thing.  But, this is near and very dear to my heart.  **Side note:: If you live in a state other than AZ, you don't have to worry about this, but keep reading just to know what's going on in my world.**  Anyway, on May 18th, AZ voters will have the opportunity to vote on Prop 100, which adds a temporary $.01 sales tax to benefit schools, healthcare, and public safety.  But mostly schools.  Actually it adds several billion dollars into our school districts that have already been badly cut back.  Now, normally, I am not a proponent of more taxes.  But, seriously, its one cent, people.

One of the programs to get cut (as of right now) if this tax does not pass is the Social Work program in Gilbert Public Schools.  In case you aren't aware, that's what I do when I am not photo-ing.  :)  I LOVE being a social worker.  But more important than my individual job is the thousands of elementary school kids, teachers, and parents that will lose the support we provide them every day.  The child who can't concentrate during the school day because his daddy passed away last week.  The little girl that doesn't want to go home because the only safe and sane place she has in her life is school.  The single mom who doesn't know how she's going to get dinner on the table and pay her electric bill this month.  The teacher who can't teach because a student in her class is throwing objects and yelling obscenities.  The staff member whose husband lost his job and who is about to collapse under the pressure.  These are all specific instances that I have dealt with and continue to deal with all the time.  If this tax doesn't pass this is just one small area that will get cut.  Other areas are still being discussed, but its not looking good.

I'm not going to tell you how to vote.  I just want you to know what is affected by this Prop.  Please think about your decision, and whatever you decide, make sure you go and vote.  Alright, I'll step down now.  Thanks for reading.  :)

No comments: